Popular Posts

Monday 16 July 2012

Why you shouldn’t go to a restaurant where there is a bouncer at the door....

Dinner x 3 Saturday 14/07/2012
58,Lever Street
M1 1FJ
58 Lever St, Manchester M1 1FJ

Last Saturday we went for dinner at Bem Brazil, in the  Northern Quarter.
Arghhh..what a mistake. I have been at Bem Brazil in December 2010, and I had a good memory of the lovely dinner I had at the time. But last night, exceeded any predictions of a car crash sort of a dinner.
Let me explain.  The food was good as usual, with very helpful, kind, professional and patient waiters running (literally: running) around with huge knives (Ugh) and an assortment of delicious meat (inclusive delicatessen such as chicken hearts). The Manager on duty was a lovely professional lady, juggling around the tables checking if everything was ok. We also had very good espressos, a rare pearl in restaurants... So what went wrong then?  Ehm..mhm.. the clientele was absolutely unbearable. Screaming orange girls’ semi-nudes, drunk and rude. That kind of drunkness that is ugly, not that tipsy smiling laughing way to have a jolly night. Men were scary. Big, muscle –huge guys that were bullying around the staff (at some point I genuinely felt sorry for one of the waiters who was been told off by a customer and laughed at for his appearance and accent). The kind of guys you know that is carrying around a knife, if you know what I mean! I went to the loo once and a girl with huge (I mean HUGE, sort of 30cm stuff like that!) wedges and a tiny acrylic cheap white dress (in contrast with red  hair extensions and matching tan) fell over and knock me almost down, when I opened the door to get into the toilet cubicle; when she got up from the floor she stumbled again pushing me aside whilst I was washing my hands laughing and pointing at my jacket to her friend (I was wearing a dark designer tailored suit that is absolutely mint) - another drunken sort of orange thing and I felt SCARED – CAN YOU BELIEVE IT- SCARED!! That cannot be right.
Now, I am not going into details of what I do for a living or who I am, because is totally irrelevant, but let me say that I am a fairly normal person, and I don’t live in a bubble, I know what is out there . But, holy macaroni! I wanted to get up and give a hug to the only female waitress that seemed to be completely overwhelmed by the demanding ugly clientele, I felt admiration for the self control of the Brazilian waiters running around with the meat and being bossed around, if not humiliated by such rude people. I heard phrases and attitude by the clientele that made me sad. Not last the ugliness of it all. 

At this stage I would usually add some facts, such as what we have eaten and how much it costs. What we eaten last night at this stage is totally irrelevant. I wouldn’t recommend this place on a Saturday night  to anyone, unless you recognise yourself in the description of the clientele which I provided above. I felt intimidated and I felt sorry for the staff. I think the ‘’all you can eat recipe’’ for a restaurant inevitably attracts not the most classy clients, but overall I’ve never come across anything like this in many years I lived in this city. Anyway, we’ve spend £111.00 between the three of us, including a £26.00 bottle of wine, coffees, amaros, unlimited access to buffet and unlimited meat brought to our table.
If it is Saturday, and you feel the urge of eating a bit of meat and relax having fun, give yourself a favour, do not go there. Manchester is a big fantastic city, I am sure you can find something much better then  Bem Brazil. Having said that I think that the same restaurant, with the same menu and staff, with a completely different sort of clientele would be a fantastic night out, especially for a group of friends. But –ehy!- we are here to talk about what it is like, not what it would be like!

Till the next one!
Ciao for now!
Bolognese Pie

Bem Brasil

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    My name is Greg and I am contacting you from Urbanspoon. I noticed that you have a spoonback (the Urbanspoon image link) for Bem Brazil in the navigation column on the right-hand side of your blog. Thanks for linking to us! However, in order for the spoonback system to work correctly so we can link to your blog, it is necessary that the spoonback be placed in the actual post itself. So if you can please move the spoonback in to your post for Bem Brazil then we will be able to link to your blog on Urbanspoon. Please let me know if you have any questions.

    Best regards,
    Greg

    greg{at}urbanspoon{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greg! Thanks ! I've just moved the badge! Take care, Bolognese pie

    ReplyDelete