Popular Posts

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Another happy dinner at Piccolino in West Didsbury!


Dine X 4 Sunday 8/07/2012 at 19:30
Ristorante Pizzeria Piccolino
6 Lapwing Lane, West Didsbury, Manchester, M20 2WS

I have been dining at Piccolino in West Didsbury since 2007. It is fair to say that I have been a regular customer since then, although sometime I would go three times in a month (like this month) and then I might not go for another 3 months. I guess it just depends on who I am dining with. Since it is a vibrant area full of bars and ideal to catch up with friends, I always been there with friends, rather than with my partner just the two of us. Last night we went with my in-laws, who are lovely middle –age young looking and awesome people, and my boyfriend wanted to treat them. Hell, he made it! We had a tasty dinner and the service was excellent.
 First of all, I would like to point out how much I prefer Piccolino in West Didsbury rather than the one in Manchester city centre. The one in town is some sort of aspirational, slightly tacky place, in which if you are not dressed up , with a matching tan, sort of mocking “the only way is Essex” or stuff like that, then you might not gain enough respect from the staff. I mean it. I went on a number of occasions and I have always felt somehow mistreated by the staff. On the other hand, Piccolino in West Didsbury is slighty better, usually diners are skilled professional on their 30’s and 40’s and the orange tan and chav stilettos are usually  replaced with more elegant and sober outfits and most importantly attitudes. I genuinely feel more at ease at Piccolino in West Didsbury! Consequentently, I have always been treated like a valuable customer and during the years, I’ve had the chance to talk to many of the very professional Italian waiters that have been working there. On this occasion my visit has been very positive, and the food was even better than usual.
The only downside of the dinner has been at the end, when at the moment of paying the bill, I asked if you could use the points accumulated in our ‘’fidelity card’’ and the all thing escalated since the points were not available, but the manager and  waiters were insisting trying and explaining the reasons why they could not discount the points.. Well at that stage I was already very embarrassed as my in laws were there, and I did not like the ideas to have some sort of ‘’clubcard’’ discussion in front of them! But anyway, the staff is Italian like me, and they were just trying to be polite, so no big deal!

SOME FACTS (WHAT WE ATE AND HOW MUCH WE SPENT): For a whopping £209.00, we treated the 4 of us to a three course meal, a bottle of Prosecco to start with before to accommodate at our table, and two bottles of Montepulciano. We had an antipasto misto , and to follow we had primi: risotto, and pumpkins’ ravioli  (I have to admit my in-laws had just half of a portion of the primi, whilst S and I had one full portion each!) My partner had a huge prime rib steak, I had an exquisite tartare (shame on me, it was the first tartare of my life!), and my father in law had scallops . I am sure I am missing something else but at that stage I was already a bit tipsy! We ended with coffees and amaro. It is clear that the bill was ok for what we had eaten!

Till the next one!

Ciao for now!
Bolognese pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment